Thursday, August 30, 2007

In Another Life...

In another life I taught High School mathematics for 12 years. I really loved my job. I did it all. I wrote curriculum, was a mentor, was department chair for a 16 person department. Once my boss told me I was the biggest math nerd in the department. I think this speaks to my passion. When I do something I do it with all my heart.

Recently I fould out that my old school, Mountain View High School in Tucson, has a very sad place in US History. It has lost the most soldiers in the war of any high school in the nation. This makes me so sad. It is a wonderful middle class community in the Northwest of Tucson. I can't imagine the pain and sadness that overcomes the faculty, staff and students each and every time this happens. We lost many kids to car accidents while I was there, and each had a profound effect on all of us. It is just WRONG to have so many children die. =-(

As Alec prepares for Geometry, and Casey for Pre Algebra, I am reminded of my days as a teacher, a tutor, a friend of teens. It really was a different life time. Do I miss it, yes. And, I know that the boys need me here. I have a business that I love, I have a familly that I love, and although they drive me crazy some days, I wouldn't trade being with them for the world. But, some days I still think about my other life....

No comments: